[WikiEN-l] Community vs Encyclopedia

Sat Jun 3 11:29:24 UTC 2006

I've spotted many more organisations are sprining up; the majority either
useless or clones of the CVU or Esperanza.

I made Community Justice, which I think failed, to be honest. CJ aimed to
improve the encyclopedia through more civil (and hence faster and less
damaging) disputes.

However, four different viewpoints of the Wikipedia have emerged recently:

   - It is an encyclopedia with a community
   - It is a community with an encyclopedia
   - It is an encyclopedia
   - It is a community

I agree with the first, though many users agree with the second and some the
third and fourth.

With Web 2.0, I see the Wikipedia becoming more and more like a social
networking site, which is sad.

There needs to be some way to remind users it's an encyclopedia - perhaps a
community organisation reminding people to edit the enyclopedia
(Wikipedia:Community Encouraging the Community to Expand the Encyclopedia
over the Community, Though That Sounds Ironic). (humour :P )

--
Joe Anderson

[[User:Computerjoe]] on en, fr, de, simple, Meta and Commons.