[WikiEN-l] cancelation of the deletion review of the satanism userbox

Jesse W jessw at netwood.net
Thu Jun 1 07:35:42 UTC 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 12:22 AM, Peter Ansell wrote:
> So we can promote things
Could you expand on this?  AFAIK, the topic under discussion was a
template, intended to be placed on user pages, containing the text:
"This user is a Satanist" (IIRC).  Is this intended to promote
something?  Is this intended to promote the improvement of some article
in Wikipedia?  Generally, most things in the non-article space parts of
Wikipedia are designed to assist in writing the encyclopedia, or
reflect on such writing.  Unless I am mistaken, very few if any things
on Wikipedia are designed to promote anything, except possibly
Wikipedia itself.  I look forward to you expanding on what you mean by
this.

<major sniping>

> Wikipedia should allow editors no matter what background they come
> from.
And (baring the Islamic issue discussed here ad nausaum), what evidence
do you have that Wikipedia does not?  Deleting a template is not
blocking anyone from editing the encyclopedia, unless I am seriously
out of touch here...

<further major sniping>

Jesse Weinstein