[WikiEN-l] cancelation of the deletion review of the satanism userbox

Jesse W jessw at netwood.net
Thu Jun 1 07:26:33 UTC 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 12:14 AM, MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> Yes, in this world filled with ignorance and intolerance, proclaiming
> you're
> a satanist is probably going to get you a different reaction, but my
> point
> is that if Wikipedia wants to get anywhere near neutral we should treat
> anyone who can edit properly equally.
Yes, of course; and if you see an example of us not doing this, please
bring it up.  *This* *was* *not* *one*.  A userbox is not a user.  One
of the troublesome things about userboxes (or any template that
expresses a personal attribute) is that people often mistake them for
the people themselves, and consider an edit to the template to be an
attack on them, personally.  This is an utterly understandable, but sad
and troublesome *mistake*.

Please - put personal expression where it belongs - directly on your
userpage.

Jesse Weinstein