[WikiEN-l] Admin-driven death of Wikipedia: a diatribe

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 06:51:14 UTC 2006

On 5/31/06, Molu <loom91 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I notice that throughout your extended grumblings you have never managed to tell me how on Earth I'm supposed to stop this thing called top-posting.

Sorry to be uncivil, but I notice that throughout his extended
grumblings, he has never explained *why* people should not top-post.
It seems to me to be a question of taste, and both forms have their
advantages and disadvantages. Someone is sure to point me to an RFC
which proves that the unix community decided once and for all that
top-posting is evil, but amongst the wider community of internet
users, I don't think there is anything remotely approaching consensus.

If top-posting is preventing people reading or following
conversations, then by all means point it out in private mail. But
these continued petulant "I have fixed your top-posting" remarks are
actually more annoying than the supposed sin they're addressing.

</rant>

Steve