[WikiEN-l] cancelation of the deletion review of the satanism userbox

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 1 01:00:11 UTC 2006

MacGyverMagic wrote:
> Either cut all religious userboxes or keep them all, don't start getting
> selective. The box is just as useful as a "I am a Christian"-box. Disrepute
> due to beliefs is only an issue if said editors consistently misbehave.
>
> People worry too much over userboxes.

On the one hand, I agree, the ongoing train wreck that is the
userbox "war" is silly and unnecessary.  On the one hand, I
agree, all "I am a whatever-tian" boxes should either stand
together or fall together.  Personally, I don't care if you
proclaim yourself to be a Christian or a Satanist or a Democrat
or a Republican or a vegetarian or a Martian or a pedophile or a
Nazi; the only thing that matters to me is whether you can edit
encyclopedia articles intelligently, cooperatively, and
productively.

But.  On the other hand:

If you honestly believe, in this society, that there is no
difference between saying "I am a Christian" and "I am a
Satanist", you are either being wilfully ignorant, or disruptive
to make a point.  And it's exactly this sort of wilfulness,
disruption, and point-making that gives rise to big problems
with those seemingly silly, unimportant userboxes.