[WikiEN-l] Common sense exceptions to our copyright policy.

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 20:23:04 UTC 2006

On 7/28/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/28/06, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am strongly in support of taking action to reduce the amount of
> > copyright outrageous violations that we get...   But I think it would
> > be self defeating to implement any policy which discourages real
> > contribution.   There must be some solution which simultaneously
> > curtails copyright violation (or at least its impact) and encourages
> > contribution.
>
> How about a middle ground:
> 1) By default, any logged in user can upload any image they themselves
> have produced. (some way of discouraging them from uploading any other
> images needs to be found)
> 2) "Confirmed" users, preferably those who have uploaded 3 or 4 of
> their own images, can upload copyrighted images for fair use.

The general idea is acceptable to me... but will it be sufficient? We
get a lot of "self made public domain" movie screenshots (for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ep3skies.jpg).

It would seem that uploaders can't even figure out that they aren't
the copyright holder... so a soft security limitation on uploading
possibly questionable content may not be as effective as we'd like...

But would it be effective enough?