[WikiEN-l] Dead wikipedians and how to really make a project boring to death

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 00:57:26 UTC 2006

Death Phoenix wrote:
> On 7/27/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>>On 7/26/06, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I think you are all missing Antheres point. Who cares whether it's
>>>fair use or not? Do we really have to be so anal about the rules that
>>>we will infact bring this to IfD, instead of just quietly ignoring the
>>>copyright issue in this very special unique case. We are people, for
>>>christs sake, not automatons! Sometimes, process is not that
>>>important.
>>>
>>>--Oskar
>>
>>I don't see why it's such a special unique case.  Wikipedia's
>>copyright policies are flawed, and this is one example of it.
>>
>>By the way, isn't there a rule that fair use only applies in articles?
>>

> Am I missing something here? The image in the fr-wikipedia is under
> CreativeCommons, and this was made by the owner of the copyright, Treanna
> himself [
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Image:Norbert3.jpg&diff=2396051&oldid=701771].
> Doesn't mean that the image on en-wikipedia also counts as CreativeCommons?
>

> (that's diving right back into the process part of this whole thing, though)
>
> --DP

It certainly is under a creative commons license, but not allowing
derivative. So, we claim fair use provision, to make it possible to host
it, to do "just as if we could do derivatives".
Of course it is unlikely we will ever make any derivative of this image
  and fair use is not recognised in France (Treanna was french).

But well...

That reminds me...

A few weeks ago, I got an image listed for deletion. It was under the
gfdl licence. The argument to list it for deletion was that no author
was mentionned. With no author specifically mentionned, it was argued
that the validity of the status of the image could be questionned and no
one could be contacted for check.

The good news is that even if no author was mentionned, someone could
contact me to ask me :-)

(and someone nicely run a bot on my images to add to all of them an
author name).

But seriously... is there a trend toward deletion of images under gfdl
when the author name is missing ?

If so, would not you consider adding "fields" of information when
uploading an image, and making them mandatory. For example, author name,
date and place of shot etc...

Would not that make it easier as well to identify data when preparing a
DVD ?

Anthere