[WikiEN-l] Uploading images should be a privilige, not a right

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 23:44:59 UTC 2006

On 7/21/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:

> We could always go the German way and prevent all non-copyleft images.
>
> PS. I just wanted to check I was accurate in making this statement. I
> decided Coca Cola would be a good article to use to check
> (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_Cola) as they are presumably unable
> to display the logo. They do show the logo in the form of photographs
> of the side of lorries showing the logo and practically nothing else.
> Surely such a photo can't be claimed to be copyleft?

German copyright law has a clause that states that if you take a
picture of anything displayed in a public place, you've got a free and
clear copyright on that picture, and can license it however you want.
I suspect that's what they're using to justify the picture.  There's
no equivalent in US copyright law.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]