[WikiEN-l] insist on sources

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 20:38:17 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a big fan of referencing, but the problem I have is determining
> what is common knowledge. I think I tend to over-reference (which is
> preferable to under-referencing). Could someone give me a good measure
> of where to draw the line?

When in doubt, provide.

We need to build intolerance for missing citations of non-obvious
material.  Once we've done that the solution simply is to provide
citations when every anyone thinks you need them... and then we watch
for folks abusing the practice to create disruption and deal with them
on a case by case basis.