[WikiEN-l] Human dignity

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 15 16:27:49 UTC 2006

Stephen Bain wrote:
> On 7/15/06, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> I don't even see what's so undignified about this particular incident
>> that anyone would argue it on that basis in the first place. Everyone
>> does boneheaded things from time to time.
>
> This particular incident may only be embarrassing; what is undignified
> is AP's reportage using a full name. What would likewise be
> undignified would be the immortalisation of this in a biography,
> forever linking this person's name with this event and this event
> alone (there is no other biographical information available), as if
> that was the sum total of their life.

I'm not sure what the distinction between "embarrassing" and
"undignified" is, here. And I already addressed the lack of other
information separately, I would already have supported deletion on that
basis alone. I was assuming that there was something more to the
incident for the sake of argument so that the matter of "human dignity"
could actually be addressed.

This incident is really a bad example for discussing the subject we're
supposedly discussing, I wish Jimbo had used one that wasn't so
obviously deletable for unrelated reasons.