[WikiEN-l] US Congress Staff Editing Wikipedia

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 23:07:37 UTC 2006

> > If there have only been a thousand changes so far, most of which were
> > positive, this does not seem to be a "major" problem. Certainly not
> > compared to the information we're gleaning from this. So, by all
> > means, let's continue to revert the particularly obnoxious changes,
> > but asking them to "stop it" will simply make it invisible.
>
> A little late for that since my phone is ringing off the hook with
> reporters interested in the story.

For what it's worth, and for a little international scope, at least
two parliament.uk IP address - probably proxy servers from inside the
Commons - have edited various articles, mostly those on individual
MPs. Minor fact-checking and expanding bio-stubs, as far as I can see
- the sort of thing anyone does on discovering their biography or that
of their boss. Haven't spotted any vandalism yet, or anything quite as
partisan as some of the US edits... but it's probably buried there
somewhere.

Anyone who understands the web system at aph.gov.au or parl.gc.ca want
to see if we can find an equivalent there?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk