[WikiEN-l] The deletion paradox

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 23:02:04 UTC 2006

On 1/30/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/30/06, Chris Jenkinson <chris at starglade.org> wrote:
> > I don't agree with the first premise. Why is it better to delete "crap"
> > articles than improve/rewrite them?
>
> That's sort of like saying, why do we have to choose between tax cuts
> and more spending on health? Why don't we cut taxes *and* spend more
> on health?
>
> Oh wait..
>
> Anyway, the vastness of crap on Wikipedia and the high proportion of
> stubs indicate that the wikipedia workforce is unable/unwilling to
> keep up with this amount of work. So, given that our poor dog is
> suffering a terminal illness in great pain, do we put him down or
> simply pray for him to get better?
>
> Steve

Steve hits a core point here. A lot of people prefer to create new articles
instead of improving existing ones. Not bad in itself, but at some point we
have improve the stuff we've already got rather than adding to our
collection. Only so can we improve the quality of our articles.

Support FAC and projects that look for sources.
Deletion is only an option for stuff that clearly cannot be redeemed.

Mgm