Re: [WikiEN-l] Our Pokémon gallery

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Jan 29 13:53:39 UTC 2006

On 1/27/06, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
> If it's such an awful violation, then why not send a letter to
> Nintendo and/or Pokemon USA informing them of this nefarious
> activity going on right under their noses?
>
> It's such a simple solution, I'm a little surprised that fair-use
> opponents haven't tried this already. (Of course, if the copyright
> holder officially shrugs about WP usage, or defines what they
> consider reasonable limits, that would make it harder to argue
> that fair use is always unacceptable, so there's a little risk.)
>
> Stan

Most "fair-use opponents" realize that the real problem with relying
on fair use has nothing to do with Wikipedia's distribution over the
Internet.  The real problem comes into play with redistributors and
print/CD/DVD editions.

If the "fair-use proponents" got a letter from Nintendo and/or Pokemon
USA saying that they have no problem with Wikipedia including all its
images in a DVD edition, that would certainly go a long way toward
resolving the issue.  Of course, the best solution would be just have
the company release the images under some free or at least semi-free
license.

Anthony