[WikiEN-l] More on WT:AFD

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 14:20:04 UTC 2006

It occurred to me that there are three totally different situations
which could be described "deletion":

Topic: The topic itself simply doesn't belong in Wikipedia, and even a
brilliant article should be deleted. Examples: Dictionary definitions,
un-notable people/groups. Solution: Delete and put a note on the
topic.
Article: The topic itself could belong in Wikipedia, but it doesn't
deserve a whole article. Examples: Less well known songs of notable
but not famous groups, less well known characters in fictional
universes ("fancruft"). Solution: Merge with other articles.
Content: The topic itself could make a good article, but this isn't
it. As it stands it's worse than nothing. Examples: Copyright vio,
substub, horribly POV etc. Solutions: Delete, reduce to stub, call for
help to rewrite, trim, as appropriate.

Perhaps the format for AFD could be modified to split nominations into
these three categories. This could reduce some hurt for some article
"owners" ("It's not that your writing is bad, it just doesn't belong
here"), and also make it a bit clearer when an article is being
deleted for the wrong reason. Ie, it's in the bad topic section, but
the dispute is about poor writing or lack of comprehensiveness.

Comments?

(I can't get to the wikipedia page just at the moment, but if anyone
wants to copy this there and reply there, that's fine with me. Use my
en login name Stevage.)

Steve