[WikiEN-l] note I've just placed on [[WT:AFD]]

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:13:08 UTC 2006

==Jimbo on the warpath re *FD==

*FD, AFD/DRV in particular, is causing noticeable problems for the
Foundation, as Jimbo has noted of late on wikien-l. (See archive -
there's a lot of posts on the subject this month.) The idiocy over
Category:Living people's nomination was the last straw.

I realise AFD/DRV regulars don't like this sort of discussion
happening outside WT:AFD and similar places, but it does happen and it
will affect *FD -- call this a notice to participate in the
discussions that are happening.

So the question is how to better ensure (a) intelligence-insultingly
crap nominations don't get in or can be killed quickly (b) better
behaviour from AFD contributors (assuming better faith of non-regulars
editing, and so forth) (c) cutting down the crippling weight of
deletion/undeletion process which leads some admins (e.g. me) to go
"fuck it".

Ideas? Assume for this discussion that nothing changing is not an
option, because it isn't.

(Note: my personal opinion is that almost everything nominated on AFD
does in fact deserve as quick, messy and painful a death as can be
managed. But the edge cases are causing real and serious problems
across Wikipedia and for Wikipedia.) - David Gerard 13:11, 25 January
2006 (UTC)

- d.