[Flag] Re: [WikiEN-l] Another AfD example -- a serious proposal to fix it

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 04:58:01 UTC 2006

On 1/21/06, Travis Mason-Bushman <travis at gpsports-eng.com> wrote:
> Again, I point out that there are 15,000+ articles piled up on the Cleanup
> queue. I am *not* just going to tag an article "Cleanup" and let it sit
> there for six months. That is *not* a solution.

I'm not going near cleanup while some people are trying their very
best to use "process" as an excuse to get rid of quite a lot of
perfectly good articles.

One of my first experiences on Wikipedia was the tail end of an AfD
where the article had originally said:

"Nicholas Humphrey was born in England in 1943. He received his Ph. D.
in Psychology from Cambridge University in 1968. Dr. Humphrey
currently holds a School Professorship at the London School of
Economics as well as a half-time Professorship at the New School for
Social Research in New York."

What shocked me was that the nominator obviously hadn't even bothered
to do any research at all.  He did not recognise that the subject of
the article was Nicholas Humphrey, the prominent evolutionary
psychologist.  To delete this would be like saying "oh Carl Sagan,
some guy who used a telescope.  Delete."