[WikiEN-l] Re: Google Earth copyright (now that you bring it up)

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 21 02:25:33 UTC 2006

Justin Cormack wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2006, at 00:19, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> I'm sure that a Darth Vader Halloween costume would be copyright
>> protected.
>
> Unlikely under US law I believe.

You are aware that the movie-related merchandise (action figures,
costumes, Lego sets, whatever) sold on the mass market is *always*
produced under licenses from the studio, producer, or whoever holds the
rights to the intellectual property in the movie? That they will make
vigorous legal action against people who mass-produce such items without
obtaining a license? That the rightsholders invariably prevail in such
cases?

Fair use for your personal Halloween costume or your personal photo
album is not the same as fair use for publishing a photograph to the
entire world over the internet.

> There are some on commons.

Commons certainly isn't perfect at abiding by its policies, just like
en: and de: aren't.

--Michael Snow