[WikiEN-l] Image:Wp ayb.gif

Jake Nelson duskwave at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 23:06:58 UTC 2006

Chris Jenkinson wrote:
> Because fair use images are fundamentally against the principles of a
> free content encyclopaedia. If a fair use image isn't improving an
> article, or if there is a replacement free image, then the fair use
> image should be deleted with impunity. Each fair use image on Wikipedia
> hinders our efforts to create a distributable free content encyclopaedia.

I really want to get this bit straightened out:

1. Copyrighted images should not be used in any situation that is not
considered fair use.
2. Wikipedia articles should be maximally redistributable.
3. Images which are used within fair use on Wikipedia may not be
elsewhere, and as such, limit the redistributability of the page they're
used on.

#1 is the only one of those that also applies to user pages.

The whole point in getting rid of images which actually are fair use (as
opposed to copyvios claiming to be) is allowing redistribution. User
pages have no need to be redistributable. They're available for
download, for a variety of very good reasons, but that's not the
download that mirrors and downstream users are supposed to use for
content that's going to be put back out.

-- Jake Nelson