[WikiEN-l] Google Earth copyright (now that you bring it up)

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 16:26:44 UTC 2006

I hadn't really thought about until you brought it up, but are there
really any grounds to says that aerial photographs can generate
copyrights at all? There is no creativity involved, especially when
surveying the entire planet. They are about as close as one can get to
a 2-D photograph -- they have no creative input at all, simply labor
and technology (which as we know in the U.S. has not been interpretted
as establishing creativity in and of itself).

The only "transformation" that I know of taking place in these images
is the removal of clouds, but this is simply a manipulation of which
photos are used in any one rendering, and is itself so mechanical and
obvious an idea and implementation that it would seem difficult to
claim it as an expression of artistic creativity.

Of course without a case showing this to be a definitive
interpretation one would not want to base anything like Wikipedia
policy around such a notion (at least, I wouldn't), but it is an
interesting question.

FF