[WikiEN-l] Image:Wp ayb.gif

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 15:25:51 UTC 2006

>--- David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The image itself has been deleted too. Does anyone have a copy to
>> hand? I want to put it on Uncyclopedia, where it would almost
>> certainly be just fine in a suitable context. Parody and satire allow
>> *fantastic* leeway for fair use ...

>Why can't we use it as parody and satire within Wikipedia user space?

Well, theoretically we could. But it's IMO a bit sideways from the
mission (we're here to write an encyclopedia) *and* it's a fair use
image, and we do have a reasonably accepted policy to minimise fair
use images to when there really isn't a substitute. And to get the
fair use images off the user pages. So it really doesn't belong on my
userpage and Gmaxwell was entirely right to remove it (and I left a
note on his talk page thanking him).

People can still link to it at [[Uncyclopedia:Image:Wp ayb.gif]] as
they wish (interwiki link), though you can't make it display as an
image that way.

- d.