[WikiEN-l] Image:Wp ayb.gif

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 15:08:00 UTC 2006

--- Chris Jenkinson <chris at starglade.org> wrote:

> Matt R wrote:
> > But user space isn't the encyclopedia. What's the problem with using such
> an
> > image in user space, if we have a decent fair use case for it (parody and
> > satire)?
>
> Because it's a waste of server space if we're not using it in the
> encyclopaedia.

What? We have lots of other images that we're quite happy to use on user pages,
like user photos. Not to mention user boxes, editor biographies, etc. Are they
a waste of server space too? Obviously not. Wikipedia is edited by a community.
Things that help build that community contribute to writing the encyclopedia.
Conserving 105 kilobytes is not a reasonable justification for removing a darn
good piece of community humour.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com