[WikiEN-l] Re: Fair use images on user pages and enforcement

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jan 19 02:19:16 UTC 2006

Sam Korn wrote:

>On 1/18/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>

>>It may or may not vanish, depending whether or not you use the image
>>on that user page for educational purposes.
>>

>Please give me one example of where an image (any image) on a userpage
>is educational.

It's better not to get hung up on "educational".  The relevant wording
is "...for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching
(including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research
..."  There are other purposes there, any one of which could qualify the
material as fair use.  The words "such as" in particular suggest that
this is not an exclusive list; there could be other purposes.

Ec