[WikiEN-l] Pointless deletions, bogus guidelines

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 20:37:18 UTC 2006

On 1/18/06, Travis Mason-Bushman <travis at gpsports-eng.com> wrote:
> Have you read some of the comments on that page's Talk page? They wish
> eventually to entirely abolish [[WP:IAR]] "and expunge its history."

Good anyone who need IRA to justify their actions should have carried
them out in the first place.

> The idea that "process is important" inherently puts rules and bureaucracy
> above writing an encyclopaedia - and we are here to write an encyclopaedia,
> correct? What [[WP:IAR]] states at its root is a principle that is central
> to Wikipedia - that is to say, that if you're doing what you believe is
> something that will benefit the encyclopaedia, damn the rules and do it
> anyway.

Perhaps but don't expect mercy if you make the wrong descision. If you
throw the rules out of the window don't complain if you go that way
too (I have not ben playing to much Max Payne I have not ben playing
to much Max Payne)

> The fact that nothing (except image deletions) is permanent on Wikipedia
> makes [[WP:IAR]] work. If someone doesn't believe that my [[WP:BOLD]]
> invocation of [[WP:IAR]] was proper, they are free to boldly revert it, or
> in the case of a deletion, find one of those 700 admins to undelete it, in
> which case a discussion can begin.

Or we could do the discussion bit first you know. to quote Tony Sidaway:

Wikipedia is not a multiplayer game, it's not a time-critical affair.
If something needs to be done, it'll wait until tomorrow, or most
likely someone else will do it if it urgently needs to be done. --Tony
Sidaway|Talk 20:08, 1 Mar 2005 (UTC)

> [[WP:IAR]] at its core, is about the fact that it is more beneficial to the
> encyclopaedia to *do* something than to worry about going through five
> levels of something Wikipedia is not, namely bureaucracy, before doing it.

Outside of directly improveing article content it is in fact often
beneficial to do nothing on wikipedia. Problems have a tendancy to
solve themselves given time

> Being [[WP:BOLD]], a principle which I think no one would disagree with,
> often requires its complement, [[WP:IAR]].
>
> -FCYTravis

WP:BOLD does not apply to admin actions.~~~~
--
geni