[WikiEN-l] Pointless deletions

Brock Batsell wikipedia at theskeptik.com
Wed Jan 18 19:56:30 UTC 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 9:13 AM, Tony Sidaway wrote:

> No. Guidelines are a substitute for thought.  Use your noggin and
> nothing much bad will happen.

Tony,

I recently advocated, both on this list and on AN/I, for a long-time
editor who had been permanently blocked.  I had never spoken with
this editor before, but we carried on a conversation off-list in my
hopes that we could eliminate the issue that led to his block in the
first place.

I attempted to make it clear that Wikipedia has guidelines and
policies that must be followed by all of its editors, so that clutter
and cruft can be eliminated and we can get to work on writing an
encyclopedia.  I also encouraged him to bring up his problems with
those policies and guidelines on the respective talk pages in order
to effect change in Wikipedia.

Now I (and he) see a longtime administrator and respected editor
making a liar out of me, completely ignoring the processes that
volunteers long before I arrived worked to hammer out in order to
make this encyclopedia the best it can be.

For the record, I completely agree that this article should not have
been deleted, as do most people on this list.  But your complete
disregard for anyone with a differing opinion is astonishing.  How
much effort did explaining this undeletion and enforcing it require
with regard to its reward (one article is undeleted that should not
have been deleted)?  Wouldn't this time have been better spent
advocating a change in the written policy that led to its deletion,
so that your work can benefit thousands of similar articles?

The user I worked with had very strong views that he had thought out
quite well, although they were contrary to policy.  He used his
noggin just fine.  Unfortunately, just using your noggin and ignoring
the noggins of other people (otherwise known as consensus) is not how
Wikipedia was built, and it's not how it will be built in the
future.  You know that as well as I do.

Warmest regards,
[[en:User:Bbatsell]]