[WikiEN-l] AFD courtesy problem

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Tue Jan 17 22:27:27 UTC 2006

> Now imagine that you are very innocently minding your own business and
> then you discover that this is the top ranked link in google for your
> name. How would you feel?

Yes, *please* let's do something about this and quickly. I'd like to use a
mess I made myself as an example, I think it's fairly typical.

- - -

I find a page for a not-very-well-known writer and drag it to AfD with a
suggestion to delete. My fellow AfD trolls agree and add that the person
probably wrote the article herself - or maybe her boyfriend did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AfD/TB (Created a redirect to avoid
putting the person's name into the mailing list archives and thereby
exasperating the problem.)

Currently this AfD discussion is the #2 English language Google hit for
the person's name, soon it will be the #1 result. Someone searching for
her in that way will immediately find the words "non-notable" attached to
her. That's not good.

Even when we trolls over there are at our best behaviour an AfD discussion
which ends with a biographical article being deleted is always going to
read like rubbing one's eyes with sandpaper to the person involved.

Regards,
Haukur