[WikiEN-l] Fair use images on user pages and enforcement

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Jan 17 01:22:30 UTC 2006

Interiot wrote:

>I have a report page that lists user pages sorted by the number of fair-use images.  (it might take
>a while to load)
>
>    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~interiot/cgi-bin/queries/en_fairusers
>
>[...]
>
>Most of them are "a list of everything I'm uploaded".  It's fantastic that they've uploaded so many
>images, but it would be still better if all fair-use [[Image:...]] were turned into [[:Image:...]]
>links.  Do these look like the sort of things that should be changed by a bot?  Given how helpful
>these users have been, I would be more in favor of discussing it on their talk pages first.

Heh, I have a couple of those, used for tracking purposes. The
:Image: syntax would serve just as well for detecting deletions,
but not over-upload vandalism. One could argue that if such pages
are used for image management and maintenance, they are no more
violations of fair use than [[Category:Fair use images]] and its
subcategories, which if you think about it, are themselves galleries
of fair-use images appearing elsewhere than in their proper contexts
(being auto-generated via category mechanism doesn't get you off
the hook!).

Stan