[WikiEN-l] Fair use images on user pages and enforcement

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Fri Jan 13 05:53:47 UTC 2006

Chris Jenkinson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm just curious whether we have a policy on the use of fair use
> images on user pages, rather than a guideline, and if so, what our
> procedure is for enforcement of that policy if it says no such images
> permitted. Obviously discussion is the first stepping stone, but if
> the user in question refuses to remove it, what actions should admins
> take in order to do so? I'm thinking of page protection and blocking
> here. I know someone has been indefinitely blocked in the past because
> he did not license his user page under the GFDL.
>
> Also, is there a straightforward page which can be used to simply
> explain our rationale for not permitting fair use images in userspace?
> If not, might I recommend the creation of one as then it could be
> linked to. It may be the case that part of the reason that users are
> not removing fair use images on request is because some people are
> being heavy-handed with them in requesting removal. A page for this
> would be more friendly, and a message could be added something like
> "Hi, you have fair use images on your page, Image:X.png and
> Image:Y.jpg. These are not permitted to be used on user pages. Please
> read [[Wikipedia:Why fair use images are not permitted on user pages]]
> for more information on why this is the case."
>
> Just a thought,
>
> Chris

IANAL and this is just my opinion, but if the page discusses the topic
of the image in a manner that an article would ordinarily qualify for
fair use, I think fair use images should be permissible. For instance,
[[User:Johnleemk/A History of Malay Special Rights Post-World War II]]
discusses Malay privileges in Malaysia, and therefore a fair use image
used on our relevant articles (i.e. [[Ketuanan Melayu]], [[Article 153
of the Constitution of Malaysia]]) is probably fair use.

For userpages in general (i.e. [[User:Johnleemk]]), though, I think it
is insufficient to claim fair use, unless a substantial portion of the
page discusses the image's topic in a manner that would qualify for fair
use.

John Lee
([[User:Johnleemk]])