[WikiEN-l] Re: How to bring back people who don't want to bother?

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Thu Jan 12 12:55:28 UTC 2006

(This discussion is on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changes_in_immigrant_groups_extended_family_positions
)

> Actually I don't think the topic is at all appropriate for an
> encyclopedia.  It'd make a good essay, but I seriously doubt you'd see
> such a title (or indeed any which start out "Changes in...") in, for
> example, Britannica.  For Wikipedia sometimes we get strange article
> titles like this for what is really a subpage of another article, but
> that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Nevertheless it would be possible to write a well-referenced article on
this topic in encyclopedic style and if we had such an article it would be
kept if brought up for AfD.

>> How would you recommend we proceed?
>
> Redirect to [[extended family]] (optionally merging if you think it's
> worthwhile).

I don't think it's worthwhile, I think it's worthless. But why should we
have a redirect there? The title is, as you noted, ridiculously long and
clumsy so no-one is likely to type it in. And the article has no incoming
links. Shouldn't we just delete it?

In any case I realize that since you feel that the topic of the article is
inappropriate for Wikipedia this was not in fact a good example for the
discussion we were having :)

Thanks for taking a look!

Regards,
Haukur