[WikiEN-l] Did I miss the great Digital Universe debate?

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Jan 10 11:13:42 UTC 2006

On 1/9/06, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:

> On 10 Jan 2006, at 01:27, Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> > Using the GFDLed stuff is more problematic.  Using it was, in
> > hindsight, probably the biggest mistake made by Wikipedia.  It might
> > be worth starting over from scratch just to get rid of the ties to the
> > GFDL.  Of course one can always hope that the FSF is finally going to
> > fix that license, but we've been asking for years and it hasn't
> > happened yet.
>
> Out of interest whats your problem (and fix?).
>
> Justinc

My problem is pretty much everything in the GFDL that isn't in
CC-by-SA.  See Section 4 of the GFDL - everything there except the
requirement to attribute authors (and personally I don't even like
that requirement, which is arguably too onerous for a wiki, but it's a
compromise to at least keep in the spirit of the GFDL).

The perfect fix (that is at all possible) would be to create a new
version of the GFDL which says something to the effect of "You may opt
to apply the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0
instead of this license."  Of course, it's probably more realistic to
expect more gradual changes.

Anthony