[WikiEN-l] Did I miss the great Digital Universe debate?

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 18:31:38 UTC 2006

On 1/8/06, charles matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I mean [[Digital Universe]], which will be WP in Technicolor without errors
> or trolls, or something?  I realise userboxes must be more significant ...

I suspect that it is seldom debated for much the same reason that
Nupedia is seldom debated.  There is as yet very little to discuss.  I
wish the project well; it looks as if , in the encyclopedia part,
Larry is trying to draw lessons from both Nupedia and Wikipedia.

Some time ago I contributed briefly to a project call h2g2, which (I
seem to recall) had a similar two-tier editorial process and a
hierarchy of editors.  At the time it was hosted by the BBC.  The
slowness of the bureaucacy led to my drifting off out of boredom,
Meanwhile the success of Wikipedia shows that there is a lot of
mileage in the concept and I hope we'll see many alternatives on the
theme.