[WikiEN-l] Deletion request and complaint

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Jan 8 16:02:59 UTC 2006

On 7 Jan 2006 at 20:39, "M. Anderson" <symphonia at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have been accused by admins of 'vandalizing' and
> 'blanking' a specific Wikientry: Bill Freeman.

Looking at the edits of that article, it does seem like you were
doing what is considered vandalism; you blanked out all but a single
line of the article, leaving nothing that establishes the notability
of the article's subject at all, and failed to give any explanation.

> I am doing neither. I am a personal friend of Mr.
> Freeman, and I find the article extremely offensive,
> as do his other friends. The person writing this
> article (who reverts it back every time I edit it) is
> obviously biased, and is revealing very untrue and
> unneccisary information about Mr. Freeman and his
> wife.

The information there appears to be properly sourced, as required by
Wikipedia policy; if you have sources for differing viewpoints you
should provide them.

> I merely am trying to edit out the offensive bits,

...which seems to even include such things as his birth year, city,
and the fact that he operates a ministry.

> If possible, I would like this article deleted for
> good, because it does more harm than good. If anyone
> could help me with this, or work something out, please
> let me know.

There is a procedure to suggest deletion, and if the consensus of the
community is that an article be deleted it will be.  In this case,
the notability of the subject seems fairly marginal, so the article
might end up deleted if it went that route.  On the other hand, the
more fervently an article subject (or his/her friends and supporters)
agitates with strident demands that the article be deleted or that
facts be suppressed from it, the more likely it is that the Wikipedia
community will dig in and refuse to delete it out of dislike of
censorship and being pushed around.  There are a number of such cases
so far, and some have turned into ugly flame wars.

Calmly and reasonably presenting exactly which alleged facts in the
article you disagree with, and why (with sources to back you up) will
be a useful strategy to getting your views respected.

--
== Dan ==