[WikiEN-l] The Wikipedia Ombudsman

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 8 14:54:49 UTC 2006

"Tony Sidaway" wrote

>Honestly sounds like an attempt to subsume or parallel functions that
already rest with Jimbo Wales.

Well, yes, Jimbo would now have the power to review what the ArbCom does (as
nobody can deny). He is de facto the Ombudsman around the English Wikipedia.
If he wanted to devolve some responsibility to a trusted person, that would
sound OK to me.  It's not as if Jimbo has no further calls on his time, and
can put hours into reviewing diffs without any impact on those other
matters.

 >I also have serious concerns about
adding yet more bureaucratic positions to Wikipedia.

Ah, but your bureaucrat may be my useful and committed person taking some of
the strain of matching WP's ideal and practice.  And vice versa, I suppose.

Charles