[WikiEN-l] Unused userboxes

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 7 22:01:51 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Ben Emmel

> Check out [[WP:TFD]] right now. Currently,  there is a whole
> bunch of userbox warriors that are going to stall and keep
> any userbox that comes their way. In short, the box is going
> to get kept anyways. An example of this is {{User fair use}},
> which Jimbo himself deleted before being informed of the TfD
> debate, which is really irrelevant, considering that we can't
> disobey the US copyright law that Wikipedia is legally
> obligated to fllow.

Yeah, well that's one that's gotta go.

> Looks to me that the userbox editors are disrupting the flow
> and work of Wikipedia, but I'd be interested to hear what
> others think. Those who have five times as many userbox edits
> as mainspace edits can't be helping Wikipedia all that much.

Perhaps if they weren't being stirred up, they might be doing more work in
articlespace, hmmmm? And if they are doing *some* work in articlespace, it
doesn't really matter if they are having a party in userspace the rest of
the time. What's the aim of the game: to build an encyclopaedia or to kick
newbies?

Peter (Skyring)