[WikiEN-l] Unused userboxes

Ben Emmel bratsche1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 20:49:22 UTC 2006

On 1/6/06, Zzyzx11 at Wikipedia <zzyzx11 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Here's something that crossed my mind:
>
> As the number of userboxes continues to increase, I am starting to see a
> number of them that are currently NOT being used by ANYONE. So in a couple
> weeks from now, if these same userboxes are still not being used on any
> userpage, shouldn't they be put on TFD like any other unused, orphaned
> template? Why or why not?
>
> Zzyzx11 at en.wikipedia.org
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zzyzx11
> zzyzx11 at hotmail.com

Check out [[WP:TFD]] right now. Currently,  there is a whole bunch of
userbox warriors that are going to stall and keep any userbox that comes
their way. In short, the box is going to get kept anyways. An example of
this is {{User fair use}}, which Jimbo himself deleted before being informed
of the TfD debate, which is really irrelevant, considering that we can't
disobey the US copyright law that Wikipedia is legally obligated to fllow.

Looks to me that the userbox editors are disrupting the flow and work of
Wikipedia, but I'd be interested to hear what others think. Those who have
five times as many userbox edits as mainspace edits can't be helping
Wikipedia all that much.

--
Ben Emmel
Wikipedia - User:Bratsche
bratsche1 at gmail.com
"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees."
-- William Blake