[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 7 19:45:22 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Gray

> Arguing over something immutable - doesn't help anyone.
> Arguing over something we are willing to change, from a new
> viewpoint? Can certainly be helpful.

But how does a new editor know the difference between policy, policy and
policy? He needs to be set straight on the important things, but I can't see
any way of doing that without some sort of discussion.

Sure, whoever does the setting straight is going to be taking time out from
other things, but if we don't educate new editors, then how can we progress?
I would rather see new users educated cheerfully, respectfully and
intelligently, rather than told what's what in a curt, dictatorial fashion
by someone who sees it as an imposition on his valuable time.

Peter (Skyring)