[WikiEN-l] userbox : insanity ?

Carbonite carbonite.wp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:13:55 UTC 2006

> Jimmy Wales wrote:
> > SCZenz wrote:
> >
> >>How about {{User allow fairuse}}?  That seems to be against pretty
> >>much everything Wikipedia stands for.  If we have so many users who
> >>think they can *vote* in an unreasonable copyright policy, maybe we
> >>need unilateral admin action after all.
> >

> > I deleted that one myself.
>
> And then, upon a request on my talk page, undeleted it.  I'll let the
> TfD run its course.
>
> I'm in favor of deleting a ton of userboxes, especially those with
> non-free images, but frankly, I think we should get rid of most of them
> anyway.  (This is not a decree and I'm trying to stay out of the userbox
> wars myself.  Mostly.)

Jimbo,

What's your opinion on the inclusion of user categories (Pro-life,
Democrat, etc...) in userboxes? Even if these userboxes are kept, I
don't see why these templates should categorize users unless it
somehow relates to the encyclopedia (we should keep Babel boxes, for
example). I realize you'd like to remain neutral on the general issue
of userboxes, but would you support the removal of categories from
most userboxes?

Carbonite