[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia block dispute

Essjay -Wikipedia- essjay-wiki at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 6 13:35:04 UTC 2006

First, it would have been nice for Kevin to either email me, as the blocking
policy suggests, or leave a note on his talk page; however, as we all know,
it is much more satisfying to burn an admin at the stake via the mailing
list rather than try to resolve the situation directly. I  feel it such a
waste to have a dozen different ways to contact me listed on my talk page
and have none of them be of any use to him.

I issued the indefinnate block after Kevin trolled Cool Cat and several
other users, including Anthere, over a completely inappropriate userbox. I
settled on an indef block because he admitted that his intention in the
entire situation was to troll, and we all know that trolling is the last
thing Wikipedia needs, although it certainly receives more than its share. I
announced the block in #wikimeda, and no other admin saw fit to adjust it,
although there were several (including two Board members, and, if I remember
correctly, Jimbo himself) in the channel and actively discussing the matter.
Further, the block was recorded in the block log, as all blocks are, and no
other user saw fit to raise the issue on my talk page, AN/I, or elsewhere.

Given that several other users have been affected by the resulting
autoblocks, I'm willing to reduce the block to 24 hours (from whatever time
I set it) and be done with the matter, provided that, as Kevin asserts that
he has been a upstanding contributor for a long time, he gives up trolling
and goes back to making useful edits. If he intends to continue trolling,
however, I'm not inclined to reduce the block, as why would I unblock
someone so they can return to trolling.

I don't normally get the mailing list emails, so if another admin sees a
response from Kevin indicating that he has given up trolling and would like
to be unblocked, please feel free to unblock, and leave me a note on my talk
saying that it has been done. If one of you disagrees with the block (and
I'm sure there will be at least one), I invoke what I have written on my
userpage:
<quote>
I strongly encourage other administrators who feel I have made an action
inappropriately to take the appropriate action to rectify it and follow up
with a note to me.
</quote>

If, by some odd chance, Kevin would like to email me directly, instead of
involving the entire mailing list, he is welcome to do so. I'm also
available by the other twelve methods listed on my userpage.

As always, peace be with you all.

Essjay
---------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay