[WikiEN-l] Re: userbox : insanity ?

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 00:04:59 UTC 2006

My position in short

We are here to write an encyclopedia. First before all.

Userbox are interesting if they are related to Wikipedia activity and
growth.

Wikipedians mood IS actually important to the community building and
interacting.
Which browsers are used is also an interesting information to know how
Wikipedia appears to readers, detect bugs...
Which language the user manage or which project he participates to is
also interesting for project management and editors daily interactions.

All this is well and good.

Which hand is used to masturbate self is of no interest within wikipedia
activity, except if one is actually masturbating himself while writing a
message on another user talk page. Is that related to Wikipedia ? Is
that helping the community ? No. So, it should go away.

Having a template stating something against our goals, such as {{User
allow fairuse}} has a name : it is trolling. Trolling has benefits...
sometimes. But if it disrupts the community too much (and generate
thousands of mails on a mailing list, huge loss of time), then, it
should just go away.

ant