[WikiEN-l] Re: Userboxes and fair-use images in userspace

Sherool jamydlan at online.no
Thu Jan 5 19:14:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:27:51 +0100, Phil Boswell <phil.boswell at gmail.com>
wrote:

> "Redvers @ the Wikipedia" <wikiredvers at yahoo.ie> wrote
> in message news:20060105131743.68330.qmail at web26414.mail.ukl.yahoo.com...
> [snip]
>> Perhaps we can prompt people a little better: the
>> boilerplates for {{fairuse}} {{albumcover}} etc could
>> be modified to include the words
>> "Note: This image must '''NOT''' be used on User
>> pages, Talk pages or Template pages. If used there, it
>> ''will'' be deleted from the page '''without
>> notice'''."
>
> Indeed, it should be possible for a bot to scan images marked "fair use"
> or
> similar, find usage in forbidden namespaces, and nuke them with extreme
> precision: it could even leave a little polite notice on the appropriate
> talk-page saying what happened to all the pretty pictures.
>
> I wonder if there's scope for a tweak of Mediawiki's handling of images?
> You
> could mark a given namespace as an "image-type" namespace, in that
> references to "articles" in that namespace actually work as images do
> now.
> You could then possible specify that this "transclusion" should only
> occur
> in certain namespaces, and anywhere else you would simply get a link.
>
> Maybe I should stop for lunch...;-)

That bot sounds like a good idea, at least for userspace, wich is where
people get most upset if you start "censoring" theyr stuff. At least no
one could blame a bot for playing favourites.

I fear the result might just be for more people to simply "invent" new
license tags that give them permission to use images for theyr userpage
anyway though. Case in point
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Mozilla> wich currently looks like
it might survive it's second run on TFD (at least if you just count the
"votes"). Hopefully a dozen "keep per IAR" votes won't be given too much
weight, as IMHO it's basicaly a fork of {{permission}} for one very
spesific purpose.

--
[[User:Sherool]]