[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Jan 5 17:49:51 UTC 2006

On 1/5/06, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/5/06, Peter Mackay <peter.mackay at bigpond.com> wrote:
>  But so long as
> > they aren't actually doing any harm, then why not praise their
> > constructive
> > efforts, instead of trying to chase them away? The more we make Wikipedia
> > cheerful co-operative community instead of a battleground, the better for
> > all concerned.
> >

> When they argue about policy with longtime editors who actually know
> something about policy, they *are* doing harm.  They are wasting the time
> and trying the patience of someone who is actually contributing to the goal
> of the project.
>
> Jay.

Not really.  Arguing about policy with longtime editors who actually
know something about policy tends to make for better, more well
thought out, and more clearly documented policies.

If the longtime editors "who actually know something about policy"
don't understand *why* those policies are in place, then maybe they
should learn this, or maybe the policy itself needs to be re-examined.
 If things have been well thought out and documented, then pointing
the newbie to a link which explains it all should take very little
time, and will create a better contributor.

Anthony