[WikiEN-l] Userbox compromise proposal (Was: Proposal on userbox disagreement)

jayjg jayjg99 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 15:53:44 UTC 2006

On 1/5/06, Carbonite <carbonite.wp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/5/06, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You know I suspect that we're making this whole thing unnecessarily
> > complicated.  Why don't we just let people keep their userbox
> > templates but remove the categories?  I'm pretty sure that doing so
> > would make instances of abuse pretty rare.  The boxes themselves
> > aren't really much of a problem, they're just a means of
> > self-expression.
>
> I tried removing the categories from the templates that had been
> nominated for deletion. This was reverted almost immediately...by
> someone with less than 50 article edits (but with over 700 total
> edits). That's when I began to wonder who was running the asylum.

Ah yes, an editor who manages to devote only 6% of his edits to articles,
who has apparently never felt the need to make even *one* comment on an
article Talk: page, and who has 4 times as many edits to his user page as to
the encyclopedia itself.  Well, on the bright side, he appears to have only
26 userboxes on his user page.

Um, what are these people doing here again?

Jay.