[WikiEN-l] Worthy admins? (was "The userbox fad")

Leif Knutsen vyerllc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 13:50:04 UTC 2006

> A test might find the fools and the completely clueless, but we already
> manage that part of it.  Social dysfunction can be more difficult, and
> it's often not apparent until it's too late.
>
> An admin board should be a workable idea, but not if it means wading
> through stacks of controversy, as might be more normal for the arbcom.
> They shouldn't need to be put to the same degree of stress induced
> burnout.
>
> Ec

I recognize and applaud the fact that we want to keep things as simple as
possible, but let me argue for the test idea a bit more.

I think such a test would have two purposes:
- It would provide some self-screening - if admin candidates have to prove
to themselves or others that they possess the knowledge and understanding to
do a good job, they might be a bit more reluctant to self-nominate
- It would create greater accountability in that the rest of us can assume
that bad admin behavior is not a result of ignorance but something else

One option is to not make it mandatory but optional; those who take it and
pass it will presumably have an easier time getting approved.