[WikiEN-l] Re: Userboxes and fair-use images in userspace

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 13:27:51 UTC 2006

"Redvers @ the Wikipedia" <wikiredvers at yahoo.ie> wrote
in message news:20060105131743.68330.qmail at web26414.mail.ukl.yahoo.com...
[snip]
> Perhaps we can prompt people a little better: the
> boilerplates for {{fairuse}} {{albumcover}} etc could
> be modified to include the words
> "Note: This image must '''NOT''' be used on User
> pages, Talk pages or Template pages. If used there, it
> ''will'' be deleted from the page '''without
> notice'''."

Indeed, it should be possible for a bot to scan images marked "fair use" or
similar, find usage in forbidden namespaces, and nuke them with extreme
precision: it could even leave a little polite notice on the appropriate
talk-page saying what happened to all the pretty pictures.

I wonder if there's scope for a tweak of Mediawiki's handling of images? You
could mark a given namespace as an "image-type" namespace, in that
references to "articles" in that namespace actually work as images do now.
You could then possible specify that this "transclusion" should only occur
in certain namespaces, and anywhere else you would simply get a link.

Maybe I should stop for lunch...;-)
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]