[WikiEN-l] Proposal on userbox disagreement

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Wed Jan 4 20:26:10 UTC 2006

Tony Sidaway wrote:

>I am very suspicious of the suggestion that having editors categorized
>by beliefs and convictions helps Wikipedia, and I see no evidence that
>this is so.

Knowing more about other editors has always helped me working with
them, so there's at least one counter-datapoint. For instance, I
found trying to reason with Wik to be very difficult because nobody
knew anything about him, and so we couldn't figure out whether he
was stubborn on principle, extremely immature, mentally ill, or what.

While some are perfectly happy to work in a world of opaque
user pages, I think only a minority of Wikipedians prefer that.

Stan