[WikiEN-l] Worthy admins? (was "The userbox fad")

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Wed Jan 4 18:29:02 UTC 2006

jayjg wrote:
> Well, that's great, but again, the issue isn't this particular individual.
> Rather, this is a symptom:  Why do we have administrators who are unfamiliar
> with policy? Why do we have administators who are unwilling to accept
> community consensus, and, indeed, seem almost unfamiliar with the concept?
> Why do we have administrators who think that it is so important to have
> "fair use" images on userboxes that it is reasonable to completely ignore
> any risks of copyright lawsuits against Wikipedia?
>
> Those are the issues here, and your having a chat with your friend isn't
> going to fix the root cause.

I really don't know why people think that, but this problem isn't just
related to userboxes. There are a number of admins who have fair use
images on their user pages, and they aren't all in "the userbox crew". A
cursory look at the arbitration committee candidates shows a number with
fair use images on their user page also.

Chris