[WikiEN-l] Worthy admins? (was "The userbox fad")

jayjg jayjg99 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:57:37 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/5/06, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Further, when we find there's a bad admin, this doesn't mean "we need to
> > > make it harder for people whose main contribution is vandal-fighting
> > > be an admin", it means, fire their ass, deadmin them, and then get
> > > someone else. If all they do is get in fights with other uses or throw
> > > their weight around on talkpages, they don't need the anti-vandal
> tools.
> >

> > It turns out that, in practice, it is difficult to de-admin an
> > administrator.
>
> Well I think we all agree about what the problem is here. So what do we do
> about it?

I don't think we all do agree on that.  You appear to think the problem is
that it's difficult to de-admin an administrator.  I think the problem is
that we are creating administrators who are not part of the community, not
familiar with its policies and norms, and not particularly interested in
Wikipedia's goals.

Jay.