[WikiEN-l] Proposal on userbox disagreement

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:17:01 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

> It also seems extremely odd to me that a project with the goal of
> giving people free access to the sum of all human knowledge would
> engage in a discussion over whether or not it is appropriate for
> people to provide information about themselves on their user page.

I've no idea how it mutated into that in some minds.  The issue is not
giving information, but abuse of the template and category systems to
faciliate the subversion of consensus and neutrality, of which I've
been able to give three examples in as many weeks without raising a
sweat.  Userboxes are increasing very rapidly in numbers--1500 new
ones last month, nearly doubling their numbers, and 250 in the first
three days of this month, suggesting exponential growth at this stage
in their growth cycle.  The number of political belief userboxes has
increased tenfold since the beginning of December, so the fact that
we're getting so many such instances at this early stage is
particularly worrying.