[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Wed Jan 4 00:17:51 UTC 2006

Kelly Martin wrote:

>On 1/3/06, Brock Batsell <wikipedia at theskeptik.com> wrote:
>
>>Say an article contained an image not legally usable in Wikipedia. The
>>appropriate action in that case is to delete the image, and remove it
>>from the article, not to delete the article altogether. How, in any way,
>>shape, or form, is the appropriate action for dealing with an image not
>>legally usable in a template to delete the template altogether? The
>>appropriate action is to delete the image and remove it from the
>>template (it can be replaced with simple text or a free image).
>>

>One gets tired of doing that over and over again.  Zach and I spent
>months fighting with these people over our policy about the use of
>unlicensed media on user pages.  They simply refuse to listen; they
>are convinced that they have the right to do whatever they want
>without regard to policy, common sense, or really anything else.

Tacticswise, I think it would be better to spank the bulk of the
non-legit images (untagged, unsourced, and bogus fair use) before
tackling "popular" images. Not only do you get to say "everything
else is clean, these are the last ones left", but you can get the
combined gaze of the 100-odd image cops to back you up.

Stan