[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

Ben Emmel bratsche1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 18:14:49 UTC 2006

I agree with the sentiment that all user boxes that don't serve an actual
purpose should be nuked, or at the very least, userfied. This includes
everything on [[Wikipedia:Userboxes/Funny]], [[/Other]], [[/Userboxes]],
[[/Emoticons]] and many others. Wikipedia is not Myspace, Facebook, or a
social site. It is an encyclopedia

However, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that userboxes for languages,
knowledge of certain topics, or Wikiprojects can be useful, not only for
identification purposes, but also for finding help on certain topics. It
gives a nice visual clue when looking for editors within certain genres, and
sometimes are a bit more wieldy then a list or category.

--
Ben Emmel
Wikipedia - User:Bratsche
bratsche1 at gmail.com
"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees."
-- William Blake