[WikiEN-l] The userbox fad

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 3 15:45:37 UTC 2006

"Tony Sidaway" wrote

>The scope for abuse  of these userboxes has been amply demostrated.
They fulfil no function useful to the encyclopedia that isn't done
equally well by simply stating one's affiliations on one's user page.
They must die.

They fulfil a function, or you wouldn't be bringing it up.  I am against all
polarising moves on WP, since I think we need to gather in the centre ground
to do the job. (Like not making centre versus center a big deal, for
example.)

But I don't think you're going to win on this one.  I would quite agree that
they are no better than bumper stickers, in many cases.

Charles